Work to remove barrier wall and modify signage will begin Friday night and end Sunday at noon
Work to restore the traffic configuration in the I-65/I-70 South Split to its pre-North Split construction condition will take place this weekend in preparation for the winter season.
On or after 9 p.m. on Friday, November 19, the two left lanes of eastbound I-70 will be closed prior to the South Split, restricting access to I-65 northbound and the Washington St. exit. The closure will allow for the removal of temporary barriers, overhead signage modifications, pavement marking installation and road maintenance from approximately mile marker 79.4 to mile marker 80.7. One lane will remain open for access to southbound I-65. Advanced warning signs along eastbound I-70 will be placed advising motorists to watch for slow or stopped traffic. This work is weather dependent and expected to end at noon on Sunday, November 21.
Motorists on I-70 eastbound wishing to use the Washington Street exit will be detoured onto I-65 southbound to Raymond Street, directed east onto Raymond Street and then onto I-65 northbound to access the Washington Street exit ramp.
Motorists traveling to I-70 eastbound ramps from West Street, Missouri Street, and Madison Avenue will experience intermittent closures for lane restriping.
Motorists are encouraged to follow the 45 mile-per-hour speed limit and pay attention to changing traffic patterns in the South Split over the weekend.
Access to downtown Indianapolis will be maintained via:
- I-70 westbound collector/distributor (C/D) ramp exit ramp to Michigan Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- Pine Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound from New York Street and Michigan Street
- I-65 northbound/I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Washington Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- I-65 northbound and southbound to Martin Luther King. Jr./West Street
- I-65 southbound to Meridian Street
- I-65 northbound to Meridian and Pennsylvania Streets
- All existing ramps on I-70 west of the South Split
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.
For up-to-date project information, text “NORTHSPLIT” to 468311. Follow the North Split project’s progress on social media at:
- Facebook: Facebook.com/NorthSplit
- Twitter: @NorthSplit
- Instagram: @IndyNorthSplit
Stay informed Indiana motorists can monitor road closures, road conditions, and traffic alerts any time throughout the state, here: https://www.in.gov/indot/2420.htm.
For details on the lane restrictions and closures associated with the current work, please visit 511 Cars for more information.