INDOT is reminding motorists to plan ahead for travel related to the upcoming NCAA March Madness tournament and NCAA Men & Women’s Swimming & Diving finals. Routes to Gainbridge Fieldhouse and IUPUI Natatorium may be impacted by work being performed as part of the North Split Reconstruction interchange closure.
Exits currently open to traffic on the north side of the downtown inner loop:
- I-70 westbound Meridian Street/Pennsylvania Street exit
- I-70 westbound MLK/West Street exit
- I-65 southbound MLK/West Street exit
- I-65 southbound Meridian Street exit
- I-65/I-70 C/D exit ramp to Michigan Street
Exits currently open to traffic on the south side of the downtown inner loop:
- I-70 to West Street exit
- I-70 to Illinois Street/Meridian Street exits
- I-65 northbound to Washington Street exit
Southbound I-65 and westbound I-70 can be accessed from Washington Street.
Alabama Street is currently closed under I-65 between 11th and 12th streets, and is anticipated to reopen later this week. Northbound traffic will be detoured up Fort Wayne Street to Central Avenue while southbound traffic will be redirected onto 16th Street to Central Avenue.
Other current closures include:
- Vermont Street: Closed under I-65 between Davidson Street and Pine Street through late March. Eastbound traffic will be directed to New York Street while westbound traffic will be rerouted to Michigan Street.
- Market Street: Closed under I-65 between Davidson Street and Pine Street through late March. Eastbound and westbound vehicular and pedestrian traffic will be detoured to Washington Street during this closure.
- 10th Street: Closed under I-65 and I-70 between College Avenue and Highland Avenue through early April. Eastbound and westbound traffic will be detoured to 16th Street.
- Ohio Street: Closed under I-65 between College Avenue and New York Street through late May. Eastbound traffic will be detoured to New York Street throughout the duration of this closure.
- Lewis Street: Closed under I-65 between 13th and 16th streets through late May. Vehicular traffic will be detoured to 13th Street, Roosevelt Avenue, Commerce Avenue and 16th Street. Bicycle and pedestrian traffic will be detoured to the Monon Loop.
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.
For up-to-date project information, text “NORTHSPLIT” to 468311. Follow the North Split project’s progress on social media at:
Stay informed 511 Cars for more information.For details on lane restrictions and closures associated with the current INDOT work, please visit