Motorists will begin seeing the first signs of movement on the nearly $320 million project to redesign and reconstruct the I-65/I-70 North Split interchange in the northeast corner of downtown Indianapolis. The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) announced the following overnight lane restrictions are scheduled to begin next week:
Overnight lane restrictions along the left and right shoulders of I-65 from near the 21st Street exit (mile marker 114), through the North Split, and along I-70 near Emerson Avenue (mile marker 88) to the North Split. Work is expected along the both highway and ramp shoulders for installation of signage and traffic control measures. The impact to traffic is expected to be minimal with lane restrictions scheduled to begin at 10 p.m. each night beginning Mon., Dec. 14 and completed by 5 a.m. each morning ending Sat., Dec. 19, weather dependent.
- Crews will complete milling and temporary pavement work along the inside left shoulder of the I-65/I-70 southbound exit ramp to Michigan Street. Overnight closures from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. the next morning are expected on Tues., Dec.15 and Wed., Dec. 16, weather dependent. The inside left shoulder and left lane (from mile markers 112.3 to 112.9) will be closed to complete this work in preparation for the upcoming Michigan Street ramp closure.
- In addition, overnight lane and shoulder restrictions along eastbound I-70 between mile markers 83 and 85 (Rural Street) are scheduled for the evenings of Mon., Dec. 21 and Tues., Dec. 22, weather dependent. During this time, the inside left shoulder and left lane of the I-65 southbound to 1-70 eastbound ramp will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. the next morning while crews demolish the existing barrier wall to place temporary pavement for a future traffic shift.
This work will allow construction to begin in January 2021. The following activities are scheduled to begin after the New Year:
- In January 2021, construction crews will close the ramp from I-65/I-70 southbound to Michigan Street. The Michigan Street ramp will remain closed until May 2021, and the Ohio Street and Fletcher Avenue ramps will remain open throughout the duration of the Michigan Street ramp closure.
- Also, beginning in January 2021, bridge demolition and reconstruction activities will occur throughout the project area, and intermittent, overnight lane closures will be required. Closures along adjacent streets are not allowed to maintain traffic flow and access. Local street closures from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. may occur at the following locations:
- Roosevelt Avenue at Commerce Avenue under I-70 eastbound
- Central Avenue under the I-65 southbound entrance ramp and I-65 northbound exit ramp
- Alabama Street under I-65 east-and-westbound
- North Delaware Street under I-65 east-and-westbound
- Clair Street under northbound and southbound I-65/I-70
Detailed maps with closure and access information can be found here: https://northsplit.com/maps/
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.