The North Split project will also greatly enhance the look and feel of the highway and how it integrates with adjacent neighborhoods by adding new trees and shrubs, bicycle/pedestrian infrastructure, decorative lighting and landscape architecture aesthetics.
The North Split interchange was originally constructed in the late 1960’s. Since that time, traffic volumes increased dramatically on the downtown Indianapolis interstate system, making the North Split interchange the second most heavily traveled in the state. The dramatic growth in traffic volume has rendered the existing design obsolete and prone to crashes – averaging approximately 300 per year over the last five years.
Exit and Entrance Ramps
- Construction will begin with the closure of the Michigan St. exit ramp from the I-65/I-70 collector/distributor road in early December. The ramp is expected to be closed for approximately one year.
- Once the Michigan St. exit ramp reopens following construction, the Ohio St. ramp will be closed for approximately one year.
- The I-65/I-70 collector/distributor road will be closed south of the Ohio St. exit ramp for the duration of the project with no access to Fletcher Ave.
- The entrance ramp from Pine St. to EB I-70 will be open at all times during the project.
- The exit ramp from WB I-70 to the I-65/I-70 collector/distributor road will be open at all times during the project.
- Periodic closures of city streets will occur during the project for bridge replacement work. Closures of local streets are expected to not exceed 90 days. Contractors are not permitted to have adjacent local thoroughfares closed at the same time. For example, Michigan St. and Vermont St. would not be closed at the same time nor would College Ave. and Central Ave.
- Washington St. will remain open at all times during the project. However, lane closures will be in place during bridge construction.
- Pennsylvania St. will remain open at all times during the project.
- Delaware St. will be closed for about 45 days for overhead bridge work.
During 2021 and 2022, portions of I-65 and I-70 will be closed for construction. Through traffic will be detoured to I-465. Local traffic should plan ahead by identifying alternate routes and expect delays.
- I-65 and I-70 between the North Split interchange and Washington St. are expected to be closed for the duration of the project beginning in mid-May 2021.
- The ramp from WB I-70 to NB I-65 will be open at all times during the project.
- The ramp from SB I-65 to EB I-70 will be open at all times during the project.
Keeping Traffic Moving
In advance of the North Split project, INDOT has invested more than $4 million to modernize and upgrade nearly 500 traffic signals on Indianapolis streets to keep traffic flowing during North Split construction. The improvements include GPS synchronization to keep signal timing consistent and remote traffic management equipment to allow INDOT technicians to adjust signals remotely when needed during peak traffic. INDOT is also making several infrastructure repairs and adjustment at local intersections to ensure safety for motorists and pedestrians.
The most up to date information on the North Split project, including closures and detours will be on social media and on the North Split website:
To stay informed on the North Split and other INDOT projects in the Indianapolis metro area, follow INDOT East Central on social media: