Central Avenue to close and I-65 southbound C/D ramp to experience traffic shift beginning next week
INDOT will be closing portions of local Indianapolis streets as construction of the North Split continues.
Drivers are asked to be aware of changing traffic patterns and new detours for closures.
- Central Avenue: Starting July 11, weather permitting, Central Avenue will close to traffic between 11th and 12th streets to allow for structure demolition, pile driving, excavation, and retaining wall installation.
- This closure is anticipated to continue through mid-August.
- Northbound traffic detour along 10th Street to College Avenue. Southbound traffic will detour west along 16th Street to Alabama Street.
- I-65 Southbound Collector/Distributor Ramp: Beginning Wednesday, July 13, weather permitting, traffic on the I-65 southbound collector/distributor (C/D) ramp will reduce to a single lane to allow for continued structure reconstruction. Traffic will merge right when approaching the I-65 southbound C/D from I-70 westbound at the North Split.This shift is anticipated to continue through mid-September.
Local street closures will continue through the end of the project. Drivers are asked to plan ahead and check northsplit.com for the latest restrictions.
Access to downtown Indianapolis will be maintained via:
- I-70 westbound collector/distributor (C/D) ramp exit ramp to Michigan Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- Pine Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound from Michigan Street and New York Street
- I-65 northbound/I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Washington Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- I-65 northbound and southbound to Martin Luther King. Jr./West Street
- I-65 southbound to Meridian Street
- I-65 northbound to Meridian and Pennsylvania Streets
- All existing ramps on I-70 west of the South Split
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.
For up-to-date project information, text “NORTHSPLIT” to 468311. Follow the North Split project’s progress on social media at:
- Facebook: Facebook.com/NorthSplit
- Twitter: @NorthSplit
- Instagram: @IndyNorthSplit
Indiana motorists can monitor road closures, road conditions, and traffic alerts throughout the state by visiting 511 Cars.