Alabama Street is scheduled to close Monday, March 7, under I-65 as part of the ongoing North Split interchange reconstruction project.
Alabama Street will close between 11th Street and 12th Street. Northbound traffic will be detoured up Fort Wayne Street to Central Avenue while southbound traffic will be redirected onto 16th Street to Central Avenue. Pedestrian and bicycle traffic will be routed along 10th and 13th Streets to Central Avenue.
Construction crews will be working on overhead structure demolition. The closure is anticipated to continue through mid-March.
Access to downtown Indianapolis will be maintained via:
- I-70 westbound collector/distributor (C/D) ramp exit ramp to Michigan Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- Pine Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound from Michigan Street and New York Street
- I-65 northbound/I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Washington Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- I-65 northbound and southbound to Martin Luther King. Jr./West Street
- I-65 southbound to Meridian Street
- I-65 northbound to Meridian and Pennsylvania Streets
- All existing ramps on I-70 west of the South Split
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.
For up-to-date project information, text “NORTHSPLIT” to 468311. Follow the North Split project’s progress on social media at:
Indiana motorists can monitor road closures, road conditions, and traffic alerts any time throughout the state, here: https://www.in.gov/indot/2420.htm.
For details on the lane restrictions and closures associated with the current work, please visit 511 Cars for more information.