Traffic shifts on I-70 eastbound to also begin as work on the North Split continues
During this closure, eastbound traffic will be detoured to New York Street while westbound traffic, bicyclists and pedestrians will be redirected to Michigan Street.
Also, starting at 8 p.m. tonight, restrictions will begin on I-70 eastbound with one lane closed between 10th Street and Valley Avenue to move the current barrier wall for a new traffic configuration. I-70 eastbound traffic from the Pine Street ramp will shift from the current two existing lanes next to the median to the newly constructed outside lanes and shoulder. All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. Saturday January 22, but close again between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. Sunday, January 23 to place barrier wall.
Motorists are encouraged to follow the posted speed limit in the construction zone and be aware of the changing traffic patterns.
Access to downtown Indianapolis will be maintained via:
- I-70 westbound collector/distributor (C/D) ramp exit ramp to Michigan Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- Pine Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound from Ohio Street, Michigan Street and New York Street
- I-65 northbound/I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Washington Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- I-65 northbound and southbound to Martin Luther King. Jr./West Street
- I-65 southbound to Meridian Street
- I-65 northbound to Meridian and Pennsylvania Streets
- All existing ramps on I-70 west of the South Split
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.
For up-to-date project information, text “NORTHSPLIT” to 468311. Follow the North Split project’s progress on social media at:
Indiana motorists can monitor road closures, road conditions, and traffic alerts any time throughout the state, here: https://www.in.gov/indot/2420.htm.
For details on the lane restrictions and closures associated with the current work, please visit 511 Cars for more information.