INDOT will begin shifting I-70 WB traffic across the median onto the new flyover bridge starting Saturday, October 1. The transition is anticipated to be complete by Monday, October 3. This shift will also “switch” sides for the exit movements approaching the North Split, and shields will be placed on the pavement to help motorists navigate these changes.
- Motorists wanting to exit at Michigan St. (C/D ramp) will need to use the RIGHT lane.
- Motorists wanting to continue on the I-70 WB movement to I-65 NB OR to exit at Meridian/Pennsylvania St will need to use the two LEFT lanes.
Along with the traffic switch, access points on I-70 WB will also change.
- Rural/Keystone will NOT have access to I-70 WB.
See our informational video illustrating these changes.
The new traffic pattern provides a safe work area for workers within the interchange, while facilitating safe and orderly traffic flow for motorists.
INDOT asks the public to be aware of the new traffic shift and watch for slow traffic in the area. The traffic shift will remain in place until interchange construction is complete.
The North Split reconstruction project will provide safer, more free-flowing travel for the thousands of motorists who use the interchange each day. Once complete, the new system will take up a smaller footprint and increase the walkability of surrounding downtown Indianapolis neighborhoods. The redesigned interchange will improve safety by eliminating weaving and merging, leading to better traffic flow.
Access to downtown can be maintained via:
- I-70 westbound collector/distributor (C/D) ramp exit ramp to Michigan Street (13 ton declared vehicle weight restriction effect)
- I-65 northbound/ I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Washington Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- I-65 northbound and southbound to Martin Luther King. Jr/West Street
- I-65 southbound to Meridian Street
- I-65 northbound to Meridian and Pennsylvania Streets
- All existing ramps on I-70 west of the South Split
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.
For up-to-date project information, text “NORTHSPLIT” to 468311. Follow the North Split project’s progress on social media at:
Indiana motorists can monitor road closures, road conditions, and traffic alerts any time throughout the state, here: https://www.in.gov/indot/2420.htm. For details on the lane restrictions and closures associated with the current work, please visit 511 Cars for more information.